Running with an idea I found in the GAPS book, I decided to start fermenting beans before Martin eats them, to improve digestability. Last weekend I soaked navy beans for 18 hours in double-purified water (I use Aquasana and Berkey filters), drained them, and rinsed with more double-purified water. Then I put the beans into a lead-free glass jar, covered them with double-purified water, and added a small amount of GI ProHealth non-dairy yogurt starter.
I sealed the jar, with the intention of leaving it sealed until this coming weekend, for a total seven days. Alas, the best-laid plans must wander astray. This afternoon, Samara, thinking the jar contained beans for fake hummus, popped it open, peered inside, and said, “Ugh, I don’t think these beans are good anymore.” I don’t know what effect, if any, the jar being opened will have on the fermentation process. I resealed it and now await the exciting outcome on Saturday. In the event that the experiment fails, I will try again next week—affixing a Do not open until Saturday! note to the jar.